Valentine’s Day is the busiest and potentially most profitable day for any flower shop. So what can you do to make your life a little easier (and make more money!). Here are some tips from Floranext. Let us know your suggestions in the comments section below!
Two Weeks Before Valentine’s Day
- Email marketing – Send out a $5 off coupon to customers. Make sure you pull all the email addresses from your florist POS system
- Codified Arrangements – Make codified or flower specific orders before designer’s choice orders to ensure you can fill orders properly.
- Pre-buy flowers – order roses early from trusted sources. Pre order 1/2 of what you think you need and get the rest as you need it from wholesalers
The Week of Valentine’s Day
- Website Update – update your website prices!
- Pre-Arranging – Hand tie greens for vase drop in, store in waxed boxes and spray with anti desiccant
- Pricing – If possible have a lower price point with 30 or 40 cm roses for cash and cary
- Single Roses – Have many single roses wrapped
- Big sellers – a single wrapped roses with box of candy attached display these in a basket at counter
- Save Money! – Colored roses are always cheaper than red so do something to promote them
- Promote! – Enclose an offer for March in every delivery (offer should be an inexpensive in-store pickup)
- Delivery Manager – nominate one employee as the delivery manager
- Prearrange delivery – route out deliveries you know already.
- Refer to last year – if you sold 800 stems of red roses you will probably need that and few more
- Keep impeccable records – Day of week, weather, staffing, what was ordered, what was not sold, hours open.
The Day Before/On
- Buy lunch – to keep everyone in the shop.
- Roses – when you pre-make roses in a vase before they go out, be sure to change water and also rinse the stems that have been in water.
- Delivery routing – is standard with florist POS systems now (including Floranext). Try out yours to make sure you know how it works.
- Delivery notification – head off those phone calls from customers by sending out delivery confirmation emails. Your floral POS should have this built in.
After Valentine’s Day
- Appreciation – Give your staff a token of appreciation for their commitment to making Valentine’s Day a success – free flowers to bring home!
Thank you for reading the Floranext florist blog. Floranext Love Florists and we are committed to bringing flower shops the best information and tips to run their floral business. Click here to learn more about our florist software and how you can upgrade your florist website or floral point of sale.