Valentine’s Day is the busiest and potentially most profitable day for any flower shop. So what can you do to make your life a little easier (and make more money!). Here are some tips from Floranext. Let us know your suggestions in the comments section below!
Two Weeks Before Valentine’s Day
- Email marketing – Send out a $5 off coupon to customers. Make sure you pull all the email addresses from your florist POS system
- Codified Arrangements – Make codified or flower specific orders before designer’s choice orders to ensure you can fill orders properly.
- Pre-buy flowers – order roses early from trusted sources. Pre order 1/2 of what you think you need and get the rest as you need it from wholesalers
The Week of Valentine’s Day
- Website Update – update your website prices!
- Pre-Arranging – Hand tie greens for vase drop in, store in waxed boxes and spray with anti desiccant
- Pricing – If possible have a lower price point with 30 or 40 cm roses for cash and cary
- Single Roses – Have many single roses wrapped
- Big sellers – a single wrapped roses with box of candy attached display these in a basket at counter
- Save Money! – Colored roses are always cheaper than red so do something to promote them
- Promote! – Enclose an offer for March in every delivery (offer should be an inexpensive in-store pickup)
- Delivery Manager – nominate one employee as the delivery manager
- Prearrange delivery – route out deliveries you know already.
- Refer to last year – if you sold 800 stems of red roses you will probably need that and few more
- Keep impeccable records – Day of week, weather, staffing, what was ordered, what was not sold, hours open.
The Day Before/On
- Buy lunch – to keep everyone in the shop.
- Roses – when you pre-make roses in a vase before they go out, be sure to change water and also rinse the stems that have been in water.
- Delivery routing – is standard with florist POS systems now (including Floranext). Try out yours to make sure you know how it works.
- Delivery notification – head off those phone calls from customers by sending out delivery confirmation emails. Your floral POS should have this built in.
After Valentine’s Day
- Appreciation – Give your staff a token of appreciation for their commitment to making Valentine’s Day a success – free flowers to bring home!
Floranext makes great florist software. Florist websites, floral POS, florist wedding/event proposal software, and florist technology. Let us know if you want a free demo or try our software for free here!